We must never forget why we have, and why we need our military. Our armed forces exist solely to ensure our nation is safe, so that each and every one of us can sleep soundly at night knowing we have “guardians at the gate".— Allen West
Calvary Christian College is proud to support the children of our ADF families. We recognise the difficulties encountered by Defence families with postings and deployments, and the associated issues involved with re-location to a new and unfamiliar environment. The College has caring staff who understand these pressures and can assist with settling in at the College and within the local community.
Defence School Mentor Program
The College runs a Defence School Mentor Program designed specifically to support the children of mobile defence families. It involves on-site, direct and flexible assistance to students, parents, teachers and other support services.
The program focuses on four key areas as students transition from one school to another, including:
- Absence support
Some of the activities within the program include:
- Assisting children and families to integrate into the new school and local community;
- Monitoring the social, emotional and academic wellbeing of Defence students;
- Helping students develop self-confidence, self-reliance and resilience;
- Referring students to services, or school and community programs that meet their needs;
- Enhancing awareness and appreciation of the unique Defence lifestyle in schools and communities; and
- Providing support to children during times of parental absence.